Tuesday 20 November 2012

First Impressions- Ghazal (section 1)


Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne is about Captain Nemo and the people he is with that go on an adventure under water in a submarine.


The first part of the 20 pages of this book was really complicated, I got all these facts thrown at me about the 1860’s and stuff that happened in July of 1866. All these facts were about things that have happened in or on the sea. Like, “20th of July, 1866, when five miles off the east coast of Australia, that the “Governor Higginson,” a ship of the Calcutta and Burnach Steam Navigation Company, had come upon this moving mass”.


Jules Verne names a lot of characters in the first 3 chapters but some are, Governor Higginson, Captain Baker, Commander Farragut, and Captain Nemo. But they did not get introduced well, so I have no idea what their characteristics are but I am sure they will be more involved later on.


The setting was mainly the sea area. They talked about in the sea where the ‘sea monster’ is and then outside of the sea.


I like reading fictional novels because it is usually adventurous and gets you to imagine and picture it all in your head. Although when I read so much facts and geographical phrases, I do get confused and try to keep track of what is happening but instead my mind wanders somewhere else.


No comments:

Post a Comment