Saturday 15 December 2012

Character Analysis+ Writing in role or Interviewing your character


Ned Land’s interview-
Interviewer- Today we have a special guest. Please join me in welcoming Ned Land!
Ned Land- Hello
I- Hi! “Land” is a pretty amazing last name.
N- My name obviously comes from Land, which means “terra firma” as often as I like to call it.
I- So “terra firma” means “land”?
N- Yes. It is a Latin phrase for solid earth, a phrase used to differentiate from the sea.
I- Wow, that’s interesting. So for the people who don’t know, what do you do for a living?
N- I am a harpoonist by trade, I hunt what is in the sea, and you could say that I’m attached to the land.
I- How different are you, compared to Pierre Aronnax?
N- I am much “earthier” than he is. I don’t exactly have the same social graces as him, and I lack Aronnax’s refined knowledge of academic philosophy and culture.
I- Oh, but you saved everyone! Tell our viewer’s about it.
N- I wouldn’t say “saved”, but I just didn’t agree with Aronnax’s slow and deliberate plan to reason with Captain Nemo.
I- But you saved them, from the ship, and that is very special.
N- It was nothing, but thanks.
I- So let’s go back to your hunting job. What exactly is a “harpooner”?
N- A “harpooner” is someone that launches “harpoons”.
I- What is a “harpoon”?
N- A “harpoon” is a barbed spear like missile attached to a long rope, that’s thrown by hand or fired from a gun.
I- When are they useful?
N- They are mainly used for catching whales.
I- Let’s tell the viewers at least three things that they might not know about you. First thing?
N- You may not know that I am Canadian and I was travelling on the “Abraham Lincoln”.
I- Second?
N- I am revered to as the “king” of harpooners.
I- Third?
N- If you want to know something a bit more personal, well then, I am 45 years old, large, quiet, and I get angry when I am contradicted.
I- Now I hope the viewers at home have learned a little bit more about you.
N- Me to.
I- This is Ned Land everyone! Thank you for coming!
N- Thank you for having me!

Pierre Aronnax
Hello my name is Pierre Aronnax. I am the main character, narrator, and protagonist of the novel. I make uncertain references; gently respect social procedures and procedures in organizations in situations. I am not willing to base my relationship with the world around me on my senses. I rely completely on what I read and my opinions. Some people say that my name is very close to the word arrogant. People like to say a lot of things about me, like that I am very arrogant about my intelligence and my ethnic character, but I don’t care what other people think. I am honest and I am an observer of nationality and at times I can be quite biased. Throughout the course of the novel I slowly ease many of these faults. My major conflict in the my confrontation with the Nautilus; when I had to choose between science and humanity, between learning as much as I can and losing my heart in the process or trusting my fellow man and his own senses.

Captain Nemo
Hi, so my name is Captain Nemo and I guess I am the antagonist of the novel. I present the situation that causes Pierre Aronnax to change, because I created the Nautilus. You may also see me as a mysterious character, while others will just see me as wicked perhaps? I do begin to frequently portray compassion and sorrow throughout the novel. In Latin, Nemo means “nobody”. I can’t be identified by a name- I ask people to call me Nemo, it’s more of a self chosen name. 

Quotes-
Ned Land- ..."I am not a butcher, I am a hunter and this was just butchers work."

Pierre Aronnax- "I repeat my view based on the logic of facts."

Captain Nemo- "Where are there not savages, and in any case, are those that you call savages any worse than the others?"

No comments:

Post a Comment